Saturday, May 28, 2011

Free from Fear of Death

Not long ago, I brought Fidel to a funeral to send my condolence to a friend, whose father had passed away. At the hall where the coffin was placed, Fidel showed his usual excitement and curiosity at new places, walking around, touching everything seems interesting to him.

You asked me to carry you, to view the deceased uncle laying in the coffin. I did, and you looked at the body and said to me, 'like 'ye-ye' (grandpa)!' You definately remember your 'ye-ye' very well in his funeral.


Months passed.

One day, my colleague said to me, 'I want to thank your son for the impact he brought to some of my friends at my dad's funeral.' Seeing my perplexed expression, she explain that bringing a toddler to attend a funeral is something unusual for chinese, and the innocent behavior of my son had attract attention from them. They were surprised that you are so innocent and brave to insist to look at the deceased body in the coffin, and they were even more surprised that I carried you to have a look!

Our action caused them to some self reflection, and my colleague told me eventually, some of them pick up the courage to look at the deceased after we had left. This was the first time in their life they look at a death body.


Sons, I guess our trust in God, and the resurrected savior sets us free from fear of the death, and all kinds of superstitious fears. As Jesus once told the people around him, 'you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.' Death, for Christians, is only a passage from temporal to eternity, from labor to rest, from seen to unseen, and from promises to fulfilment.


One day, your dad will be with 'ye-ye'.

You shall miss me (I hope), but do not be dismay.

We shall meet again one day, and you will not only see your dad but our Heavenly Father too.

No comments:

Post a Comment